News View All News »
District Librarians to Present Third ‘Bresnahan Book Award’
Thursday, January 25, 2018
The Liverpool Central School District and its library media specialists will celebrate the life of fellow library media specialist Lori Bresnahan during a special ceremony on Friday, March 2, beginning at 5 p.m., at the Barnes & Noble on Route 31. At that time, they will present the third-ever Bresnahan Book Award.
Students at all nine LCSD elementary schools recently had the opportunity to read each of this year’s nominated books:
- Armstrong: The Adventurous Journey of a Mouse to the Moon written and illustrated by Torben Kuhlmann
- Be a Friend written and illustrated by Salina Yoon
- Job Wanted written by Teresa Bateman and illustrated by Chris Sheban
- Mother Bruce written and illustrated by Ryan T. Higgins
- Over in the Wetlands: A Hurricane-on-the-Bayou Story written by Caroline Starr Rose & illustrated by Rob Dunlavey
- Swap! written and illustrated by Steve Light
- The Bear and the Piano written and illustrated by David Litchfield
- The Bear Ate Your Sandwich written and illustrated by Julia Sarcone-Roach
- Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh written by Sally M. Walker and illustrated by Jonathan D. Voss
- You Nest Here with Me written by Jane Yolen & Heidi Stemple and illustrated by Melissa Sweet
The books were selected because they also are nominated for the 2018 Charlotte Award, which was one of Bresnahan’s favorites. Every other year, the New York State Reading Association presents the Charlotte Award, which recognizes books that represent diversity, demonstrate different genres and formats, and appeal to children as much as they appeal to their teachers.
Much like the Charlotte Award, LCSD elementary students are in the process of voting for the winner of the third-ever Bresnahan Book Award. LCSD librarians will use the Twitter hashtag #lcsdvotes4books to capture the excitement.
The Bresnahan Book Award event also will include LCSD celebrities reading the nominated books and Barnes & Noble will host a book fair that evening. Proceeds will go toward building “Lori’s Bookshelf” in every LCSD elementary school. Each LCSD school will have a list of books that the library would like to add to its collection, and those books can be purchased and donated to help fill those shelves.
The Bresnahan Book Award was established to honor the life of Bresnahan, who passed away in March 2013. One of her great passions was sharing books with children, and the library media specialists decided that there was no better way to keep her love of literature alive than by creating a book award in her honor.
Penguin and Pinecone, by Salina Yoon, was the inaugural winner in 2014. The Book with No Pictures, by B.J. Novak, was selected the winner in 2016.